Amber the Hammer
Amber the Hammer is the story of two young women who rekindle their friendship by defeating a 7'7" supervillain. Along the way, there are roller derby costumes, low-tech gadgets, martial arts fight scenes, and the biggest crowbar you've ever seen. It's a crimefighting action film with a big heart!
Inclusion StatementAmber the Hammer captures the wide-ranging diversity of the Bay Area! Our Director is Latino, both of our leading actors and our Assistant Director are female, black actresses occupy 2 of our 5 speaking roles, one of our supporting actors is Latino, and the other is 7'7" (not a typo).
About The Project
With Amber the Hammer, we aim to tackle two challenging questions:
- Can we make a superhero short film with diverse characters that aren't normally represented in superhero movies?
- Can we pull off gritty, realistic fight scenes on a shoestring budget?
As we get creative to take on those challenges, we are motivated by one thing above all else: fun! Here's why this project has been a blast for us in pre-production, and why it will be a blast to you on the big screen:
- Vibrant superhero costumes and makeup
- Original action-music score
- Full fight scene choregraphed by stunt coordinators
- 7-foot-7 (not a typo!) actor playing Mr. Friendly, our supervillain
- Partnership with comic book artist for hand-drawn freeze-frames
Use the WishList to pledge cash and loan items - or - Make a pledge by selecting an incentive directly.
About This Team
Jose Luis Jovel, Writer & Director & Editor
Jose Luis is originally from San Salvador, El Salvador in Central America. As a child, he fell in love with watching behind-the-scenes movie clips. When he to California in high school, Jose Luis took a TV Production class and started making movies himself. Jose has been a filmmaker ever since then, most recently having made an award-winning short called A Girl Named Khan.