Hey, I'm Shawn!
New York, New York
Hi, I'm from New York, and I like to write about hair growth products. Did you know that:
* Everyone lose hairs from their scalp, on average 40 to 120 a day.
* Normally a hair follicle will produce a new shaft of hair once an old hair is shed. A "dormant" phase, when the follicle temporarily produces no growth, is normal.
* Most hereditary hair loss is caused by androgenetic alopecia, which affects 40 per cent of men and women to some degree by age 35.
* Androgenetic alopecia causes some scalp follicles to shrink. This lengthens the dormant phase of the follicle in the growth cycle; it means eventually that there is very little hair growth.
* Micro-grafting, or the insertion of plugs of hair from elsewhere on the head, begins to have an effect after six months. The rest of the hair may continue to shed, leaving only transplanted hair.
* The Government is reported to be investing Pounds 1.9 million in the biotech company Provillus, and its new treatment for baldness -harvesting hair follicles from the scalp, multiplying them in a lab, and then re-implanting them in the scalp.